Download our FREE 12 Page Guide to Creating Dementia-Friendly Bathrooms
This guide summarises best practice expert design advice for creating Dementia-friendly bathrooms with guidance and advice from leading healthcare and building design experts.
- There are more than 800,000 people living with dementia in the UK
- 163,000 new cases of dementia are diagnosed in England and Wales each year
With a new case diagnosed every 3.2 minutes in England and Wales alone, that figure is forecast to rise to over 1 million in the next seven years
- 20% of those aged 80+ have dementia
- 80% of care and nursing home residents have some degree of dementia or severe memory problems
- On average 30% of people in acute hospitals have dementia
Download our guide to Creating Colour Contrasts for Dementia.
Who is this guide for?
This guide has been produced for all those involved in Dementia care:
Health and care professionals • relatives and carers • specifiers and contractors involved in bathroom adaptations • social landlords
What is a Dementia friendly bathroom?
A Dementia-friendly bathroom is one designed with a clear understanding of the unique challenges that people with Dementia present with. This guide highlights special design considerations and the safest types of bathroom product to choose to address these.
What does the guide cover?
All aspects of bathroom design from lighting to flooring, taps, showers and heating are covered together with some very specific ‘Protecting the Individual’ design and product selection challenges and how they can best be overcome.